Job Search Strategies
There are many methods of searching for a job but the most important element involved is planning! Attending a great business school doesn’t guarantee a job offer by graduation. Like your other achievements, you’ve got to work for this one as well. Spears School Graduate Career Services is here to assist you with planning and enacting your search.
Before you initiate any job search you need to know what you want to do and where you want to live. It doesn’t have to be perfect, but try to narrow the options in some way. Many graduates base this decision on hobbies – if you love to snow ski, would you want to live in Florida? Any reason is a good reason. After you’ve narrowed the prospects, we recommend a multi faceted approach including:
- Searching newspapers and professional journals
- Use of mega web pages (Monster.com, CareerBuilder.com, etc.)
- Searching company websites
- Use of the HIRE System, available to all OSU students
- Developing and using a network of faculty, friends, family and program alumni
There’s no magic to finding a job — it takes attention and work, but we’re here to guide and cheer you on to success!